Ukrainian Catholic Church · 830 N. Franklin Street, Philadelphia
Treasury of Faith Museum in the cathedral basement.
The parish was established in 1886 to serve Ukrainian immigrants who had settled in Northern Liberties — Philadelphia's original Little Ukraine. The present cathedral rose between 1963 and 1966, designed by Julian K. Jastremsky in the Byzantine Revival style and modeled on Hagia Sophia. Its central dome spans 100 feet across, sheathed in 22-karat gold Venetian glass tiles, with a mosaic of the Pantocrator within.
A stone from the tomb of St. Peter, given by Pope Paul VI, rests in its cornerstone. Pope John Paul II visited the cathedral on October 4, 1979. It is the mother church of the Ukrainian Catholic Archeparchy of Philadelphia, led by Metropolitan-Archbishop Borys Gudziak.
Read more →
Immaculate Conception parish founded by Ukrainian immigrants in Northern Liberties.
Bishop Soter Stephen Ortynsky purchases the church that becomes the first cathedral.
Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky consecrates the first cathedral on Franklin Street.
Cornerstone of the present cathedral laid, with a stone from St. Peter's tomb.
Pope John Paul II visits the cathedral.
Treasury of Faith Museum opens in the cathedral basement.
Metropolitan-Archbishop Borys Gudziak enthroned at the cathedral.